What is Movement Density?
How many reps of a given movement you can do in a given time domain.
Density vs. Intensity
• Intensity: Perception, How something Feels, (e.g. Cold Exposure, State Limitations, Breathing Limitations)
• Density: Just like Competition — Reps & Time (is all that matters)
- How dense?
- How long?
- Do the other movements interfere?
3 Types of Movement: Cyclical, Weightlifting, Gymnastics
Density in Cyclical
Pace throughout time domain (Energy Systems Training)
Limiters in Cyclical Density
• Local O2 Consumption
Density in Weightlifting
Not the Sport of Weightlifting…any external load.
Max < Battery
Density in Gymnastics
Why density? (b/c Muscle-Ups are most difficult skill)
Ways common movements could be made harder without adding volume (total time) or more aggressive chunking (reps at a time)…
• Rope Climbs → Legless, Wearing a Vest, or a thicker rope
• MUs → Wearing a Vest, Strict
• HSPU → Strict, Deficit, Parallette
• HSW → Unbroken Required, Obstacles
3 Step Model for Gymnastics Performance: Strength, Density, Sport
Step 1: Strength
Step 2: Density
Ways to progress density…
• Reps per minute (density)
• Reps per set (chunking)
• Total Reps (volume)
Step 3: Sport / Functional Applications
• Increased general fatigue (systemic and local limiters)
• Pacing & strategy
• Controlling state
• Racing others
Are your gymnastics movements holding you back from reaching your potential?
Statistics show five movements are far and away the most likely to show up in local competitions and online qualifiers like the Open. That’s why this program focuses on improving “The Big Five.”
1) Muscle-Ups (Bar & Ring)
2) Handstand Push-Ups
3) Handstand Walks
If your capacity in these movements is holding you back from taking your fitness to the next level, this program is for you!
Informative rants on the Sport of Fitness.
No fluff, no BS, just practical ways to help you improve your fitness.
1-on-1 Remote Coaching
Your Plan Includes…
• Customized workouts tailored to your needs
• Video calls with your coach every training Cycle
• Video analysis – having “eyes” on your technique
• Strength & Energy Systems Testing
• Access to all ZOAR paid content
• A “Welcome to the Team” box of ZOAR gear
• No commitment. Cancel Anytime.
Ready to join the ranks?
Email me to start the next chapter in your journey.