(1) Teens’ joints are more resilient.
• Impacts Movement Quality & Volume Tolerance
• Can Learn & Refine Skills through Volume
• Can Handle More Frequent MetCons
(2) Teens’ bodies are growing.
• They often haven’t filled out their frame yet
• Pick a well-rounded selection of strength & accessory movements with more frequent touches on moderate to higher rep ranges, to elicit hypertrophy & improve motor control
• Don’t neglect maximal strength development, but it also doesn’t need to be a primary focus
(This is also a great method for teen athletes who play other sports and compete in CrossFit in part of their year and want CrossFit to supplement their performance in other sports.)
(3) Teens are figuring out what they want.
• It’s likely that a teen athlete will change he or her mind about wanting to compete in CrossFit long-term, so prioritize well-rounded development as an athlete and human being.
Other Considerations for Teen Athletes
- Teen Athletes are Minors (Teen divisions are <18 years old)
- The Coach of A Teen Athlete is Usually Paid By that athlete’s parent(s)
- Teen Are Less Likely To Understand What to Expect of a Professional Coach
The Parent of a Teen Coach Should Consider…
• Has this coach has worked with other teens before?
• Am I comfortable with this person knowing the details of my son or daughter’s life to the degree that is necessary to help him or her elicit their best performance?
• For An In-Person Coach: Does this person have their clearances? Do they have a good track record?
• For A Remote Coach: Am I comfortable with my son or daughter sending training-related videos to this person?
• Does this coach act more as a mentor (or) do they interact in more of a peer-to-peer type relationship?
It’s important to find a coach who…
- Has worked with Teen athletes before
- Is Trustworthy and has a good track record working with minors
- Is willing to communicate with both the teen and the parent
- That both the Teen athlete and the parent are comfortable working with
1-on-1 Remote Coaching
• Customized workouts tailored to your needs
• Video calls with your coach every training cycle
• Video analysis – having “eyes” on your technique
• Strength & Energy Systems Testing
• Access to Pro (Articles, The Vault, The Protocol)
• A “Welcome to the Team” box of ZOAR gear
• No commitment. Pay monthly. Cancel Anytime.